Journal of Natural and Life Sciences is a peer-reviewed journal. This journal follows guidelines from Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) facing all aspects of publication ethics and, in particular, how to handle cases of research and publication misconduct. This statement clarifies ethical behaviour of all parties involved in the act of publishing an article in this journal, including the author, the Editor-in-Chief, the Editorial Board, the peer-reviewer and the publisher (LP2M, Universitas Mulawarman, Samarinda, Indonesia).
Journal of Natural and Life Sciences are dedicated to following best practices on ethical matters, errors and retractions. The prevention of publication malpractice is one of the important responsibilities of the editorial board. Any kind of unethical behavior is not acceptable, and the journals do not tolerate plagiarism in any form.
Journal of Natural and Life Sciences adapts COPE to meet high quality standard of ethics for publisher, editors, authors, and reviewers. As an essential issue, publication ethics needs to be explained clearly to improve the quality of the research worldwide. In this part, we explain the standard for editors, authors, and reviewers. Publisher don’t have right to interfere with the integrity of the contents and only support to publish in timely manner.
- Based on the review report of the editorial review board, the editor can accept, reject, or request modifications to the manuscript.
- Editors should be responsible for every articles published in Journal of Natural and Life Sciences
- The editors may communicate with other editors or reviewers in making the final decision.
- An editor has to evaluate the manuscript objectively for publication, judging each on its quality without looking to nationality, ethnicity, political beliefs, race, religion, gender, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the authors. He/she should decline his/her assignment when there is a potential of conflict of interest.
- Editors need to ensure the document sent to the reviewer does not contain the information of the author, vice versa.
- Editors’ decision should be informed to authors accompanied by reviewers’ comments unless they contain offensive or libelous remarks.
- Editors should respect requests from authors that an individual should not review the submission, if these are well-reasoned and practicable.
- Editors and all staffs should guarantee the confidentiality of the submitted manuscript.
- Editors will be guided by COPE flowcharts if there is a suspected misconduct or disputed authorship.
- Reviewers need to comment on ethical questions and possible research and publication misconduct.
- Reviewers will do the work in timely manner and should notify editor if they can not complete the work.
- Reviewers need to keep the confidentiality of the manuscript.
- Reviewers should not accept to review the manuscripts in which there is potential conflict of interest between them and any of the authors.
- Author(s) affirm that the material has not been previously published and that they have not transferred elsewhere any rights to the article.
- Author(s) should ensure the originality of the work and they have properly cited others’ work in accordance of the references format.
- Author(s) should not engage in plagiarism nor self-plagiarism.
- Author(s) should ensure that they follow the authorship criteria that are taken from Journal of Natural and Life Sciences that is explained in instruction for author of Journal of Natural and Life Sciences
- Authors should not submit the same manuscript to more than one journal concurrently. It is also expected that the author will not publish redundant manuscripts or manuscripts describing the same research in more than one journal.
- Authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to conception, design, execution or interpretation of the reported study. Others who have made significant contribution must be listed as co-authors. Authors also ensure that all the authors have seen and agreed to the submitted version of the manuscript and their inclusion of names as co-authors.
- The author(s) haven’t suggested any personal information that may make the identity of the patient recognizable in any forms of description part, photograph or pedigree.
- Author(s) should give the editor the data and details of the work, if there are suspicions of data falsification or fabrication.
- If at any point of time, the author(s) discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in submitted manuscript, then the error or inaccuracy must be reported to the editor.
- Authors of the journal should clarify everything that may cause conflict of interests such as work, research expenses, consultant expenses, and intellectual property on the document of Journal of Natural and Life Sciences form disclosure.
The Editors of Journal of Natural and Life Sciences and Unmul Journals make every effort to ensure the accuracy of all the information (the “Content”) contained in its publications. However, the Editors of Journal of Natural and Life Sciences and Unmul Journals make no representations or warranties whatsoever as to the accuracy, completeness or suitability for any purpose of the Content and disclaim all such representations and warranties whether express or implied to the maximum extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this publication are the views of the authors and are not necessarily the views of the Editors of Journal of Natural and Life Sciences
Journal of Natural and Life Sciences is an international peer review journal published by LP2M, Mulawarman University. The journal publishes Original Research Articles (full papers and short communications) in all aspects of Natural life sciences. Submission to the Journal is open to those who are interested in Natural life science and related to them.
There is no publication charges for publication in Journal of Natural and Life Sciences (fully free of charges). The manuscript should be prepared in good English and has to proof read by a native or professional proof reader.
The proposed manuscript can be submitted through online submission. The author should adhere the Guideline For Author strictly otherwise, the manuscript will be rejected without review. The proposed manuscript is not published or being considered to any other journals, and free of plagiarism.
Responsibilities Bioprospek Journal Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief Editor
The Journal of Natural and Life Sciences has an editorial team consisting of an editor-in-chief, a managing editor and board of editors. They all are required to be accountable and responsible editors for publishing the Bioprospek Journal article. The Journal of Natural and Life Sciences Journal editors led by the editor-in-chief. The Journal of Natural and Life Sciences Journal editors have a duty and responsible as follows:
- Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor accept articles submitted by the author to the Journal of Natural and Life Sciences.
- Articles submitted by the authors to the Journal of Natural and Life Sciences Journal are distributed by the Editor-in-Chief, or Managing Editor to the editors in the Board of Editors for conducting the 1st review process (initial review). Distribution of the articles are well-regulated by the Editor-in-Chief, or Managing Editor so workload can be fairly distributed in number to all editors. Review process Bioprospek using a double-blind peer-review system.
- In reviewing an article, the 1st review process is done by the editor (at point 2) as the first reviewer. Then, the editor sent the article to at least two external independent reviewers for the 2nd review process. The results of the review process are sent to the Editor-in-Chief, or Managing Editor. The Editor-in-Chief, or Managing Editor makes the decision and send it to the author with the article status being with accepted, accepted with changes or rejected.
- If changes are required as the outcome of the review process on the article, the second round of review process (point 2 to 3) is taken into account.
- Editor-in-Chief is responsible for determining the deadline for receipt of articles that are ready for publication.
- Editor-in-Chief is responsible for implementing and leading the editorial board meeting. Editorial board meetings conducted at least 1 (one) times in 1 (one) issue, to finalize the issue for publication. If the Editor-in-Chief is absent, then Editor-in-Chief can assign the Managing Editor or one of the editors to do the duties.
A decision to publish an article is done through the mechanism of peer-review process stated above, and it is taken into account based on the quality of the article. The decision was taken without considering the religion, ethnic origin, nationality, race or gender of the author.
Confidentiality of the article before publication maintained as well as possible. The Journal of Natural and Life Sciences editors cannot release any information available on the article to anyone except the author of the article. Information in a text can be released to others Journal of Natural and Life Sciences editor with the knowledge of the Editor-in-Chief, or Managing Editor.
Disclosure and conflict of interest:
Articles and the materials related to the article that is not accepted for publication in Journal of Natural and Life Sciences must be returned to the authors, and it cannot be used by the Journal of Natural and Life Sciences editors for any reason. To avoid conflicts of interest, the decision was taken in publishing the articles should be fair and based on the peer-review process.
Responsibilities of Reviewers
Contribution to Editorial Decisions:
Evaluation Reviewers become the main reference for the Editor-in-Chief in making editorial decisions. Evaluation results from the reviewers are really intended to help the author to improve the quality of the article.
If there is an improper designation reviewer, for example, the designated reviewer is not competent in the field of expertise of the article being in peer-review process, one of the Journal of Natural and Life Sciences editors can report it to the Editor-in-Chief or the Managing Editor. Then, the Editor-in-Chief, or the Managing Editor determines another reviewer with a consideration of some of the editors with the expertise of the article.
Each article is accepted by the reviewer must be strictly confidential. Article and peer-reviewed results should not be submitted directly to the author, or communicated to other than the author, but it must be submitted to the editor in charge, Editor-in-Chief or the Managing Editor.
Responsibilities of Authors
Authors should clearly present the objective and significance of research in the article. The author should follow the Bioprospek guidelines in preparing the article to submit.
Authors should prepare original research results which have not being published by other authors in any publication. To ensure it, the authors need to check the originality of article using plagiarism checker before submission. The article will be rejected if there is plagiarism on the article. Any information from references used in the article should be honestly and accurately cited in the article.
The authors should submit their article to the Journal of Natural and Life Sciences only. When it is not accepted to publish in the Bioprospek as the result of peer-review and officially reported by Editor-in-Chief or the Managing Editor, the authors can submit it to other journals. The article will be rejected if there are plagiarism and multiple submissions on the article.
Errors in Publication:
The authors will receive their article to conduct final checking of any error in the article before publication. The authors should report any error in the article to the Editor-in-Chief, or Managing Editor in a period of time given, and the errors should be clearly listed and addressed in a separated sheet together with the evidence of revision.
Responsibilities of Publisher
The LP2M, MulawarmanUniversity as the publisher of Journal of Natural and Life Sciences, encourages the editors and all bodies involved in publication processes to follow the ethics and code of conducts of every party. The publisher defines the relationship between publisher, editor and other parties in a contract, respect privacy, protects intellectual property and copyright, and fosters editorial independence.
Publisher works with journal editors to set journal policies appropriately and aims to meet those policies, particularly with respect to: editorial independence, research ethics, including confidentiality, consent, and the special requirements for human and animal research, authorship, transparency and integrity.
Publisher works with journal editors to converse journal policies in general and review journal policies periodically, responsible for the investigation of suspected research and publication misconduct and, where possible, facilitate the resolution of these cases, make and publish corrections, clarifications, and retractions, and publish content on a timely basis.
The Bioprospek and its editors endorse the compliance of authors to the principles of the Declaration of Helsinki of the World Medical Association, which relate to the conduct of ethical research on human beings, and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals of the Institute for Laboratory Animal Research of the National Research Council, which relate to the conduct of ethical research on laboratory and other animals.